Sunday 8 January 2012

12 Fundamentals of Animation - Staging, Anticipation, Squash and Stretch, Exaggeration, Overlapping, Arcs, Secondary Action



This video shows from 2:40 a very classic device used for staging in games. A quick pan of the camera around the area to physically show you all that you have yet to explore. I think the camera is unstable and a frankly boring way of setting the scene. A similar technique is used in the Assassins Creed Series but with much greater effect. (See next video)

The above video also shows a very simple anticipation device. The character which is with you in the cut scene looks off into the distance, which shows the anticipation of more action happening below. (This happens at approximately 3:06)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1QsMIn8hnY

This video shows several viewpoints (I think you get the idea from the first 2 shown)


A Video which looks at some movement elements in Assassin's Creed II;




This next picture is made from screen shots I took from the above video's ending scene, these show squash and stretch and anticipation well;


This image shows Etzio killing the two guards below him as he lands from his jump; this shows Secondary Action.



These actions in Tomb Raider show the Secondary Action of a jump right after a climbing action which is not very true to life and I feel add nothing to the move. It simply gives Lara a more bouncy movement style than she needs;









These Tomb Raider Anniversary screen shots show Squash and Stretch and Anticipation blandly;








Lara Croft's actions are not very natural, (bad use of Arcs) and I feel that instead of the company looking at how they can improve on movement from past titles, they chose to mimic it with simply better graphics. I also feel like Lara's jumping action is somewhat Exaggerated to show the skill involved in jumping such a distance.



In the above video of 'kills and jumps' at 0:40 - 0:43 Etzio's natural walk cycle is shown in slow motion. As he moves his body weight from one foot to another, his cape sways and ripples in the breeze - and he can usually be seen clenching a fist every so often. This demonstrates subtle Overlapping Action.

A less subtle version of this 'walk cycle embellishment' can be seen in Tomb Raider Anniversary, where Lara  Croft's plaited hair swishes whenever she walks. It would be a nice feature if it wasn't so very repetitive. (0:06-12) It tends to be something you don't notice until it is mentioned to you, and then it is the only thing you see!




At 1:05-6 there is a prime example of Exaggeration to show the weight of the object Etzio is holding and the force with which he swings it. His over the top backward preparation with the hammer shows this really well;







The next screen shots are from the following film and showcase the natural movement of falling. (3:42 - 3:45) Arcs are used in the animation process to form this.











No comments:

Post a Comment

Robin Silcock

I am a Second Year Games Art and Design student at Norwich University of the Arts. After exploration of a number of roles in my first year, I am now looking to graduate as a 3D Artist with applicable skills in Maya, Mudbox, ZBrush and Photoshop. I understand that my skills in this field are not there yet - but I aim to achieve this goal through consistently working through the programs in my University and Personal Projects. I love to be busy - I have always had a lot of things on my plate since the age of 7 where I successfully balanced school with Ballet, Tap, Horse-Riding, French, Piano and Singing Lessons! In the same fashion, my university schedule is just as hectic and varied; I am a Peer Mentor to first year students, Student Rep for Second Year, and President of the Enterprise Society. Like I said, I love to be busy! I am a Games Hippie - so to speak - I believe that Games if designed and harnessed in the right way, will be able to help solve many of the global issues we have today - even if it starts off in a small way. Just look at the positive effects that Facebook and Twitter have already had... When navigating my blog;
  • Works in Progress - This section is a constantly running account of all my current projects - personal and for university. It will contain reference images and website links and sometimes less than coherent posts, so be prepared!
  • Finished Pieces - This is where you will find my more polished artwork. Looking for help with Maya? Check out the posts tagged "Maya How-To's"