Wednesday 16 November 2011

Making of.... the Title Style

I started to draw out my title by drawing out a grid with vector lines, then drawing over the top with the paintbrush within these grids. This was not working at all as the letters looked very shaky and were uneven in shape and size. Charlie (from boardgame team) then very helpfully suggested I use the pen tool to create the outline in angles and then stroke the lines with the paintbrush (Photoshop did this for me). It worked a treat - there were no fuzzy lines.

There was a problem forming however, I couldnt seem to create a consistent perspective on the writing. It does look like its going further away due to the angles I used, but instead of the lettering looking polished and consistent it still looked a bit hap-hazard. And so I went back to the drawing board at home and worked out a new way to realise my desired effect.

Side Note: As you can see, in all my panic at trying to make photoshop give me the results I wanted I managed to spell Manhattan incorrectly. Another reason to start again I think....



After trying and failing to re-produce the "When Worlds Collide" title on photoshop - I regrouped myself, went home and then re thought out how I could create the polished yet retro style I wanted to acheive. To make sure that I had an even letter spacing and shaping I used several (as you can see!) guide lines creating my own custom grid sizing. Using the tip from Charlie about the use of the pen tool, I soon began to make the right style of lettering. (To my great relief) These letters are well proportioned and spaced, and their long thin style will really accentuate the space-age feel in my opinion.

As you can see here, I did end up using the guidelines quite a lot, but they were working really well at helping me space out the letters so I  did not see why I should stop! Below is the almost finished title before I have shaped it - I have added in a background shadow to the lettering.



Now that I have applied a perspective shift to the lettering, the title now looks like this;

No comments:

Post a Comment

Robin Silcock

I am a Second Year Games Art and Design student at Norwich University of the Arts. After exploration of a number of roles in my first year, I am now looking to graduate as a 3D Artist with applicable skills in Maya, Mudbox, ZBrush and Photoshop. I understand that my skills in this field are not there yet - but I aim to achieve this goal through consistently working through the programs in my University and Personal Projects. I love to be busy - I have always had a lot of things on my plate since the age of 7 where I successfully balanced school with Ballet, Tap, Horse-Riding, French, Piano and Singing Lessons! In the same fashion, my university schedule is just as hectic and varied; I am a Peer Mentor to first year students, Student Rep for Second Year, and President of the Enterprise Society. Like I said, I love to be busy! I am a Games Hippie - so to speak - I believe that Games if designed and harnessed in the right way, will be able to help solve many of the global issues we have today - even if it starts off in a small way. Just look at the positive effects that Facebook and Twitter have already had... When navigating my blog;
  • Works in Progress - This section is a constantly running account of all my current projects - personal and for university. It will contain reference images and website links and sometimes less than coherent posts, so be prepared!
  • Finished Pieces - This is where you will find my more polished artwork. Looking for help with Maya? Check out the posts tagged "Maya How-To's"