Thursday 27 October 2011

Personal Reflection

Write a piece on the first simple game you played...

"Well the first game that I played which had very simple gameplay was Space Invaders. I have a feeling it was at a friends house and I used a joy stick to control the shooter scooting along the bottom of the screen, and the satisfyingly red button on the top of the joy stick to shoot at the incoming invaders. The greatest emotional tool of this game was indeed the soundtrack it was given, much like the later used theme from jaws, we all know that if we don't speed up killing these aliens there will be impending doom! I find the music in a game affects me greatly and I do tend to start to panic if the music suggests urgency or anticipates danger, and so when the music began to speed up as the aliens lowered themselves and sped up, naturally I would begin to panic and the game went one of two ways; I would either gear up my game and begin to concentrate harder and would successfully get rid of all invading Ships, or I would panic and make silly mistakes and die quite quickly. Though this fear and panic that the game instilled in me did not put me off trying again and again to beat my score and save the world against Alien Invaders!"


Describe the emotional reactions you felt towards a game you have played recently....

"The most amazing feeling of pride and accomplishment when you become king. The rising sense of responsibility of the power you've gained. The feeling of hard work paying off. Then comes the catch, your success is short-lived. Your spirits fall as you realise the real challenge is yet to come."
Fable III - Becoming King

No comments:

Post a Comment

Robin Silcock

I am a Second Year Games Art and Design student at Norwich University of the Arts. After exploration of a number of roles in my first year, I am now looking to graduate as a 3D Artist with applicable skills in Maya, Mudbox, ZBrush and Photoshop. I understand that my skills in this field are not there yet - but I aim to achieve this goal through consistently working through the programs in my University and Personal Projects. I love to be busy - I have always had a lot of things on my plate since the age of 7 where I successfully balanced school with Ballet, Tap, Horse-Riding, French, Piano and Singing Lessons! In the same fashion, my university schedule is just as hectic and varied; I am a Peer Mentor to first year students, Student Rep for Second Year, and President of the Enterprise Society. Like I said, I love to be busy! I am a Games Hippie - so to speak - I believe that Games if designed and harnessed in the right way, will be able to help solve many of the global issues we have today - even if it starts off in a small way. Just look at the positive effects that Facebook and Twitter have already had... When navigating my blog;
  • Works in Progress - This section is a constantly running account of all my current projects - personal and for university. It will contain reference images and website links and sometimes less than coherent posts, so be prepared!
  • Finished Pieces - This is where you will find my more polished artwork. Looking for help with Maya? Check out the posts tagged "Maya How-To's"