Tuesday 10 January 2012

Lecture: The Background of Animation

Notes on the Origins of Animation in Gaming

Oscilloscope - Tennis for 2

Pong - The sound for Pong was created by passing electricity through the already existing components used in the games hardware. This was done because the company had run out of room and funding to add any more components to the circuitry. Pong uses 'Procedural Animation'.

Space Invaders - 2 frame 'Sprite Animation' is used.

Toejam and Earl from the Planet Funk. Use Sprite animation also, they just placed it within a more elaborate setting.

Wolfenstein 3D - 1st 3D Game

Doom - Uses 3D environments with 2D character animations. This was used in order to combat the lack in processing power with the demand for impressive visuals.

F-Zero - Uses 3D environments with 2D Sprites.

Quake 4 - Activision

Max Payne 3 - Uses reactive cinematic experience, triggered by the players actions directly rather than passively. (ie cinematics are accurate to players actions, to generic to the point in the game).

Journey - a game which explores humans passion for exploration!

Mount Dash - a game used as an example for character modelling and animation.

Look into;

VykisAnimation.com

Unreal Development Kit

Euclidean Space

Cartesian Coordinate System



No comments:

Post a Comment

Robin Silcock

I am a Second Year Games Art and Design student at Norwich University of the Arts. After exploration of a number of roles in my first year, I am now looking to graduate as a 3D Artist with applicable skills in Maya, Mudbox, ZBrush and Photoshop. I understand that my skills in this field are not there yet - but I aim to achieve this goal through consistently working through the programs in my University and Personal Projects. I love to be busy - I have always had a lot of things on my plate since the age of 7 where I successfully balanced school with Ballet, Tap, Horse-Riding, French, Piano and Singing Lessons! In the same fashion, my university schedule is just as hectic and varied; I am a Peer Mentor to first year students, Student Rep for Second Year, and President of the Enterprise Society. Like I said, I love to be busy! I am a Games Hippie - so to speak - I believe that Games if designed and harnessed in the right way, will be able to help solve many of the global issues we have today - even if it starts off in a small way. Just look at the positive effects that Facebook and Twitter have already had... When navigating my blog;
  • Works in Progress - This section is a constantly running account of all my current projects - personal and for university. It will contain reference images and website links and sometimes less than coherent posts, so be prepared!
  • Finished Pieces - This is where you will find my more polished artwork. Looking for help with Maya? Check out the posts tagged "Maya How-To's"