Thursday 17 November 2011

Design Document Backgrounds


Inspiration for Designs

When looking into how to present my design document for The Manhattan Project, I took Mark's advice and visited. Www.gamepitches.com.

I found a great document to use for inspiration on here; Fallout 2: Brotherhood of Steel.

http://www.scribd.com/mobile/documents/32184089/download?secret_password=2lnexmix0tta16yrz6w0

They too looked to create an aesthetically engaging and stylised document which conveyed the games ideas through text, imagery and publishing of the whole document. I particularly like their faded atomic background design which runs throughout the document, and their clear and dramatic artwork style for the game.

Ideally I would have liked to have printed off my design document backgrounds and front cover on good quality paper, and then used a typewriter to type out my document.

Sadly I think this idea may be a little unrealistic, but the intention was thee all the same if I had been submitting this to a large company, I feel the quirky touches to the document would have made it ( to use Nigel's phrase) 'Visually Arresting'.




Initial Background Concepts

After my Critique session with Chris today, I decided to explore the idea he had for my project's design document - making it look like a US secret project folder - classified style. These are the intial concepts I have done for this.



http://akinna-stock.deviantart.com/art/paper-texture-43428123

This was the Paper Texture I used to make up part of my background for the design document.

http://www.nano-dds.com/2011/Pics/DTRA-Logo.gif

This is the US Army Logo I used on the Front Cover of the Document


Updated Concepts



I decided on changing the backgrounds as there was still something not right. I wanted them to give the impression of a dossier in my Design Document, but the initial ideas were a little too 'gimmeky' and in your face about it. I think that these seem a lot more subtle and professional. They give an air of a secret project feel but they don't ram it in your face and distract you from the writing that will be over the top of it.
I am currently playing with the idea of having a paper clip over the top of some pages to hold on the 'photographs' (concept images), and the text will look as if it has been produced on a typewriter.

If I could have an overarching stylised feel to my game I think it will hold more weight as a creative idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Robin Silcock

I am a Second Year Games Art and Design student at Norwich University of the Arts. After exploration of a number of roles in my first year, I am now looking to graduate as a 3D Artist with applicable skills in Maya, Mudbox, ZBrush and Photoshop. I understand that my skills in this field are not there yet - but I aim to achieve this goal through consistently working through the programs in my University and Personal Projects. I love to be busy - I have always had a lot of things on my plate since the age of 7 where I successfully balanced school with Ballet, Tap, Horse-Riding, French, Piano and Singing Lessons! In the same fashion, my university schedule is just as hectic and varied; I am a Peer Mentor to first year students, Student Rep for Second Year, and President of the Enterprise Society. Like I said, I love to be busy! I am a Games Hippie - so to speak - I believe that Games if designed and harnessed in the right way, will be able to help solve many of the global issues we have today - even if it starts off in a small way. Just look at the positive effects that Facebook and Twitter have already had... When navigating my blog;
  • Works in Progress - This section is a constantly running account of all my current projects - personal and for university. It will contain reference images and website links and sometimes less than coherent posts, so be prepared!
  • Finished Pieces - This is where you will find my more polished artwork. Looking for help with Maya? Check out the posts tagged "Maya How-To's"