Thursday 6 October 2011

Idea-Peer Review

On Tuesday afternoon our team had a group crit with Nigel and went from being optimistic and excited to confused and demotivated!
Nigel made some very good points:
  • We were trying to please too many audiences with our game and were subsequently sabotaging our chances at being truly successful with any of them. So we needed to be firm in our choice of age-range and our reasons for choosing them.
  • If we wanted to aim our game at adults we would need to justify our theme (and probably scrap it) and if we wanted to aim our game at young children we would need to do a lot of research into child psychology.

An annoying problem we have had as a team since this meeting is that we seem to have a 'viscious circle' if you will over our content level. We know we want to produce this board game for 7/8+ year old children, but we don't know how complex or simple we should adjust our game to be for this age range. The circle looks something like this.


After much deliberation we have decided to go with our original Idea to run with and are looking more in depth into board game designs and the creative possibilities available to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Robin Silcock

I am a Second Year Games Art and Design student at Norwich University of the Arts. After exploration of a number of roles in my first year, I am now looking to graduate as a 3D Artist with applicable skills in Maya, Mudbox, ZBrush and Photoshop. I understand that my skills in this field are not there yet - but I aim to achieve this goal through consistently working through the programs in my University and Personal Projects. I love to be busy - I have always had a lot of things on my plate since the age of 7 where I successfully balanced school with Ballet, Tap, Horse-Riding, French, Piano and Singing Lessons! In the same fashion, my university schedule is just as hectic and varied; I am a Peer Mentor to first year students, Student Rep for Second Year, and President of the Enterprise Society. Like I said, I love to be busy! I am a Games Hippie - so to speak - I believe that Games if designed and harnessed in the right way, will be able to help solve many of the global issues we have today - even if it starts off in a small way. Just look at the positive effects that Facebook and Twitter have already had... When navigating my blog;
  • Works in Progress - This section is a constantly running account of all my current projects - personal and for university. It will contain reference images and website links and sometimes less than coherent posts, so be prepared!
  • Finished Pieces - This is where you will find my more polished artwork. Looking for help with Maya? Check out the posts tagged "Maya How-To's"