Sunday 5 February 2012

Mudbox Project - Human Head Model - Sam's Ear

For my Mudbox project (BA2 - Unit 2) I have decided to model my boyfriend Sam's head. I chose Sam for two reasons; a) I live with him so have the benefit of viewing his head in real-life as well as using reference photos, and b) If I manage to 'muck' his face up, I wont lose any friends over it!

I began as Mark suggested by using a Low subdivision level to start the initial molding of the face and head. Using the grab tool I carefully shaped his jawline, nose shape, ear position, eye sockets, chin and neck/back/shoulder areas. From this point I then racked up the subdivision levels and stared work on the ears. Had I known how fiddly and frustrating this was, I would probably not have chosen them first - but I did learn a lot from this ambitious move about the way the surface of the mesh reacts to different tools, and how best to build up ridges and caverns in the skin without compromising the quality of the mesh coverage (i.e. no nasty jagged edges).


This was my first shaping of the ear, trying to define edges, and the shape of the outer lobe 'overlap'

This is the ear almost finished. It took about an hour of building up and taking away on the mesh to achieve these pronounced ridges and dips. I then went on to finish the edges and create more of a separation of the ear from the head which also required a lot of smoothing.

Here are some screenshots of the ear from other angles to show its formed 3D shape.



From this point, once I was happy with the initial sculpting of the ears, I then went on to starting to work more detail into the facial features;
I am quite happy with the brow line, but his nose mouth and chin still have a long way to go!
I am thoroughly enjoying working with Mudbox, as frustrating and tedious as it is at times!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Robin Silcock

I am a Second Year Games Art and Design student at Norwich University of the Arts. After exploration of a number of roles in my first year, I am now looking to graduate as a 3D Artist with applicable skills in Maya, Mudbox, ZBrush and Photoshop. I understand that my skills in this field are not there yet - but I aim to achieve this goal through consistently working through the programs in my University and Personal Projects. I love to be busy - I have always had a lot of things on my plate since the age of 7 where I successfully balanced school with Ballet, Tap, Horse-Riding, French, Piano and Singing Lessons! In the same fashion, my university schedule is just as hectic and varied; I am a Peer Mentor to first year students, Student Rep for Second Year, and President of the Enterprise Society. Like I said, I love to be busy! I am a Games Hippie - so to speak - I believe that Games if designed and harnessed in the right way, will be able to help solve many of the global issues we have today - even if it starts off in a small way. Just look at the positive effects that Facebook and Twitter have already had... When navigating my blog;
  • Works in Progress - This section is a constantly running account of all my current projects - personal and for university. It will contain reference images and website links and sometimes less than coherent posts, so be prepared!
  • Finished Pieces - This is where you will find my more polished artwork. Looking for help with Maya? Check out the posts tagged "Maya How-To's"