Saturday 4 February 2012

Mudbox Practical 1

To get rid of the grid; Display => (Uncheck) Grid

Alt+left click => rotate
Alt+middle button => zoom/move

Hold B on the keyboard for brush options.
Hold M on the keyboard to adjust strength hotbox options.
Hold spacebar for hotbox menu.

W = wireframe of mesh view toggle (underlying geometry)

Shift + D = up a level of subdivision.

Page Up / Page down buttons to cycle between subdivision layers.

Hold shift whilst drawing to activate smooth tool and smooth your brushwork.

Hold control whilst drawing to invert the tool you are using eg carve into the mesh rather than pull out of it.

Use stamp image => texture on the surface. When putting down texture you need to consider the rotation and spacing options of the stamp as well as the strength of the stamp into the mesh surface.

Brushstroke option ; smoothes out the lines you draw so to eliminate wobbles in your curves. ( stick to a value below ten ).

Build up ; ( emboss surface ) good for adding clothes or armour.

Flood ; will add an extra layer of clay to everything on the model.

Wax ; will not build up as much when strokes cross over each other (as sculpt).

Sculpt ; builds up when strokes cross over each other.

Foam ; good for adding things like hair or beards base layers ( quick to add a built up area )

Tip:

Be sure to get the right general shape of the face/skull before you go up a layer of subdivision.

Remember to use the Mirror X axis tool to keep the symmetry in the face until you get down to the a symmetrical details of the face.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Robin Silcock

I am a Second Year Games Art and Design student at Norwich University of the Arts. After exploration of a number of roles in my first year, I am now looking to graduate as a 3D Artist with applicable skills in Maya, Mudbox, ZBrush and Photoshop. I understand that my skills in this field are not there yet - but I aim to achieve this goal through consistently working through the programs in my University and Personal Projects. I love to be busy - I have always had a lot of things on my plate since the age of 7 where I successfully balanced school with Ballet, Tap, Horse-Riding, French, Piano and Singing Lessons! In the same fashion, my university schedule is just as hectic and varied; I am a Peer Mentor to first year students, Student Rep for Second Year, and President of the Enterprise Society. Like I said, I love to be busy! I am a Games Hippie - so to speak - I believe that Games if designed and harnessed in the right way, will be able to help solve many of the global issues we have today - even if it starts off in a small way. Just look at the positive effects that Facebook and Twitter have already had... When navigating my blog;
  • Works in Progress - This section is a constantly running account of all my current projects - personal and for university. It will contain reference images and website links and sometimes less than coherent posts, so be prepared!
  • Finished Pieces - This is where you will find my more polished artwork. Looking for help with Maya? Check out the posts tagged "Maya How-To's"