Sunday 26 May 2013

Blender for Beginners

Navigation
  • Middle Mouse Button: Tumble (move your camera around the model to change your view)
  • Shift + Middle Mouse Button (MB Hereafter) : Pan Camera
  • Scroll or Control: Zoom
  • You can use your Number Pad to move your camera incrementally around your selected object by tapping; 2,4,6 and 8.
Selection
  • Right Click (RC): Select Object
  • Shift + RC: Select Several Object
  • A: Select All/ Deselects all
Toggles
  • T: Toggles Tools On/Off
  • N: Transform Window Toggle
  • Control + N: New Scene
Views
  • Number Pad: 1 - 7 gives the orthographic views.
  • 0 on the Number Pad : Camera View
  • . (full stop) : Zooms to Selected
  • +/- on the Number Pad: Zooms in/out of screen/ object menus.
  • Click and Drag the top-right corner of your current viewport to add another window in your screen. Excellent for things such as UV Mapping, Animation and much more!
  • To change between UI Modes, Control Key + Left/Right Keys
Animation
  • Shift + Up Key/ Down Key: Move 10 Frames
  • Left/Right Keys: Move between frames (one at a time).
General Notes
  • When rendering, if you go to System > ComputeDevice : lets you choose your graphics card for rendering. (This allows you to select your graphics card, rather than use your built-in graphics; this can lead to smoother and quicker rendering,)
  • When using versions of Blender which are earlier than the current (released this month) be sure to set up your user-preferences, and save them, before you start modeling.
  • File > User Preferences > Interface > Rotate around selection.
  • When saving your scene you can also choose how many versions (as back ups) you want saved alongside your original save file.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Robin Silcock

I am a Second Year Games Art and Design student at Norwich University of the Arts. After exploration of a number of roles in my first year, I am now looking to graduate as a 3D Artist with applicable skills in Maya, Mudbox, ZBrush and Photoshop. I understand that my skills in this field are not there yet - but I aim to achieve this goal through consistently working through the programs in my University and Personal Projects. I love to be busy - I have always had a lot of things on my plate since the age of 7 where I successfully balanced school with Ballet, Tap, Horse-Riding, French, Piano and Singing Lessons! In the same fashion, my university schedule is just as hectic and varied; I am a Peer Mentor to first year students, Student Rep for Second Year, and President of the Enterprise Society. Like I said, I love to be busy! I am a Games Hippie - so to speak - I believe that Games if designed and harnessed in the right way, will be able to help solve many of the global issues we have today - even if it starts off in a small way. Just look at the positive effects that Facebook and Twitter have already had... When navigating my blog;
  • Works in Progress - This section is a constantly running account of all my current projects - personal and for university. It will contain reference images and website links and sometimes less than coherent posts, so be prepared!
  • Finished Pieces - This is where you will find my more polished artwork. Looking for help with Maya? Check out the posts tagged "Maya How-To's"