Friday 24 February 2012

Mudbox Sculpt Timeline
















These screenshots show a time-line of my development of Sam's head. The eyes took a while to get looking OK, and I re-sized and moved them about the face several times to get them looking right. The grid technique I used with a photo of Sam helped a lot , along with the quality of the reference photographs I was using.

The mouth was especially tricky to sculpt as I found it hard to get the shape of the mouth full enough without it looking like Sam was pouting! Dom Littler helped me with some good advice on how to use the wax tool to gently build up the skin around the top of the mouth (the skin covering the top line of teeth) and from there I was able to crack the problem!

I also used the wax tool to create the hair effect on the top of Sam's head. This took a lot of time to build up gradually, stroking in the lines of hair and then smoothing the edges so that it did not appear too false. I found it hard to decide how much detail to add to the hair, as you don't want it looking under-done, but similarly you cannot sculpt in each hair as the geometry simply wouldn't be able to handle it!

The ears are blue in the lower photographs because I have frozen that area so that when I was sculpting the hair, I did not interfere with the ears - which I am very happy with.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Robin Silcock

I am a Second Year Games Art and Design student at Norwich University of the Arts. After exploration of a number of roles in my first year, I am now looking to graduate as a 3D Artist with applicable skills in Maya, Mudbox, ZBrush and Photoshop. I understand that my skills in this field are not there yet - but I aim to achieve this goal through consistently working through the programs in my University and Personal Projects. I love to be busy - I have always had a lot of things on my plate since the age of 7 where I successfully balanced school with Ballet, Tap, Horse-Riding, French, Piano and Singing Lessons! In the same fashion, my university schedule is just as hectic and varied; I am a Peer Mentor to first year students, Student Rep for Second Year, and President of the Enterprise Society. Like I said, I love to be busy! I am a Games Hippie - so to speak - I believe that Games if designed and harnessed in the right way, will be able to help solve many of the global issues we have today - even if it starts off in a small way. Just look at the positive effects that Facebook and Twitter have already had... When navigating my blog;
  • Works in Progress - This section is a constantly running account of all my current projects - personal and for university. It will contain reference images and website links and sometimes less than coherent posts, so be prepared!
  • Finished Pieces - This is where you will find my more polished artwork. Looking for help with Maya? Check out the posts tagged "Maya How-To's"