Sunday 19 February 2012

Contextual Studies Essay Notes

1)Find a couple of jobs one would want to do;

3D Modelling and Concept Artist

2)Write about how one would get into said job role (not a personal account of the steps, a formal review of the process)

3)Case Study of a Studio/ 2 Studios you would like to work for.

4)i) Compare and Contrast these roles between the two studios.

ii)What are the differences between these companies; and what does this mean?

iii) Interview someone in that role.

iv)Contact Companies about your research


A good way to kick start your essay is by looking at 'abstracts' (academic papers). Also look into all the videos from the Lecture Theatre.


Body Notes

i) Write a Short intro on your chosen roles in an industry context.
*Make sure you can back up all your assertions with facts which are linked mid text and also listed in your Bibliography*

ii) Pick out the inconsistencies and cross-overs in the industry and explain why they are important.

iii) Look into how the industry has developed over time, and compare it with the film industry. Look into the emergence of the indie-gaming industry. How it has emerged from cottage to fully fledged.

iv)How has the industry developed these specific roles over time and how what they entail has changed over time.

Conclusion

i) Are these roles fitted to your interests or upon further investigation, do they actually mean something different?

ii)What areas do GAD students need to excel in according to your research in order to succeed?

THINGS TO REMEMBER

Show ALL your Research!!!

Citate ALL your Opinions!!!

Check your SPELLING AND GRAMMAR!!!

Re-read your BRIEF!!!

Use Double Line Spacing to make Marking easier. Use a nice font! (eg not Times New Roman!!!)



1000 Words

Introduction: 10% of Word Count - 100

Write out your intentions (see previous post)

Body: 80% of Word Count - 800

Research, Comparisons, Citations.
Use P.E.E: Point, Evidence, Explanation

Conclusion: 10% of Word Count - 100
What have you learnt from your research on this subject.

Bibliography:
Everything you have talked about, looked at, referenced.

Appendix:
Additional Work (eg. Primary Research) Any Interviews you've conducted, any emails or correspondences you've used as part of your research.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Robin Silcock

I am a Second Year Games Art and Design student at Norwich University of the Arts. After exploration of a number of roles in my first year, I am now looking to graduate as a 3D Artist with applicable skills in Maya, Mudbox, ZBrush and Photoshop. I understand that my skills in this field are not there yet - but I aim to achieve this goal through consistently working through the programs in my University and Personal Projects. I love to be busy - I have always had a lot of things on my plate since the age of 7 where I successfully balanced school with Ballet, Tap, Horse-Riding, French, Piano and Singing Lessons! In the same fashion, my university schedule is just as hectic and varied; I am a Peer Mentor to first year students, Student Rep for Second Year, and President of the Enterprise Society. Like I said, I love to be busy! I am a Games Hippie - so to speak - I believe that Games if designed and harnessed in the right way, will be able to help solve many of the global issues we have today - even if it starts off in a small way. Just look at the positive effects that Facebook and Twitter have already had... When navigating my blog;
  • Works in Progress - This section is a constantly running account of all my current projects - personal and for university. It will contain reference images and website links and sometimes less than coherent posts, so be prepared!
  • Finished Pieces - This is where you will find my more polished artwork. Looking for help with Maya? Check out the posts tagged "Maya How-To's"